Now more than ever we should be looking at ways to help our environment but how and where do you start? You don’t have to be an eco-warrior to make an impact and a couple of small changes really can make a big difference. Here are some of my favourite ways to help the environment.
As an environmentally conscious family, we’re constantly finding new ways to help limit our footprint on the planet, as well as finding a way to help our house contribute to healing the planet. The following ideas are simple enough that any family can use them without having to make any really big changes.
Limit Food Waste
In the UK alone around 8 million tons of food is wasted, this doesn’t include food during the manufacturing process. Households, retail and the hospitality sector need to take more care with what they waste and where it goes. In the household, you have the power to control what goes in the bin and can prevent a lot of waste.
Make the most of what you’ve got! My post about scrap stock is a fantastic way to pull every last bit of goodness and flavour out of your vegetable peelings, once the stock is made you can also pop the used peelings in the composter.
Change Energy Suppliers
It’s much easier to find an energy supplier who is green now than it was five years or so ago, even a year ago you were looking at spending a lot more for the privilege of using energy from renewable sources rather than fossil fuels. It was over a year ago now that we made the switch to Bulb for our gas and electricity, and since then they’ve gone 100% renewable on their electricity supply, 100% carbon neutral on their gas supply with 10% of that being from renewable sources (the other 90% is offset by their carbon reduction projects around the world).
As well as being the best kind of energy supplier, time and time again they’re coming up as one of the cheapest – along with a very generous referral offer!
Switch Up Your Health & Beauty
We all know plastic is destroying the planet, we’ve seen the devastation caused. I’m always on the lookout for products that limit the amount of wasted packaging, especially plastic, to reduce what I throw away. I’ve recently switched my shampoo to bars which, although come in a plastic wrap, I don’t feel it’s as bad as the huge bottles I used to use. You can go completely plastic-free via companies like Lush but I feel Lush are a little too pricey for what you get – at least in regards to their shampoo bars (didn’t last long).
My favourite health product which I feel is helping make the most difference to my waste is my Mooncup. I moved away from tampons and pads in favour of the Mooncup at the end of 2017 and have saved a ton of plastic wrapping, cases and used products from hitting the landfill. I personally think that, as a woman, this is one of the biggest impacts I’ve been able to make. I use my cup along with ModiBodi knickers (which are SOOOO comfy) at the start and end of my period.
Everyday Household Items
I’m currently terrible for my use of disposable wipes due to their convenience, especially in the bathroom, so I’m trying to find an alternative I like but I make up for it elsewhere. Using a laundry detergent such as eCover which is plant-based and causes no harm to the environment on the other side of the pipes is another small change which can be made; which has a huge impact.
Staying with laundry, we upgraded our washing machine to one that actually calculates the weight of the load, adjusts the amount of water it needs and the energy required to get through the wash. This saves us money on water and electricity which in turn helps in the overall scheme of things.
Cut Down Meat & Dairy
We’ve all seen the news and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it’s not going to change unless we make it change. The meat and dairy industry plays a huge part in the destruction of our planet and while the world keeps paying for them to provide meat and dairy they’ll keep producing it at a shocking rate. The number of the planet’s resources it takes to produce the smallest amount of beef is enough to make your eyes water.
Now, I’m not saying you should jump straight to being a vegan but making small changes such as swapping mince in your bolognese for brown lentils (which is so nice, by the way) really does help. Plus, being a student nutritionist, there is no harm in increasing the number of vegetables you consume, as well as reducing your risk of certain diseases and cancer that is linked to red and processed meat.
Helping the environment isn’t about being perfect. It’s about making small changes that all add up in helping to reduce the damage and/or increase the healing of the planet. What are you going to change today?
Enjoyed this post? Pin it for later